Monday, March 21, 2011

Paris, France - Day 3

Well, my camera battery died, and of course I forgot my charger. I was unable to get the pictures off of my mom's camera too so I will have to post pictures later but I wanted to log what we did for the day.

We started out at the Notre Dame. We went to the chapel yesterday but the tower was closed. Today we got to climb 400 stairs to the top! We saw the 3 ton bell and took lots of pictures from the top.

Next we went to Saint Chapell. Of course, the chapel had a lot of incredible detail. It was built in the 1700's. It had incredible stain glass windows.

We went to the Pantheon. The basement was a crypt. One of the many tombs there was Joan of Arc. It was pretty amazing and of course massive!!! Next we headed to a museum that had a lot of amazing paintings and a lot of weird paintings, and a lot of naked paintings! I don't understand their obsession with fat naked ladies. If only the world still loved fat ladies (not naked though)!!! Anyway, many of the paintings were by Picasso, Renoir, Cezanne, and Dennon. I hate to sound like I don't appreciate art, but seriously, some of those paintings I can't understand. I do not know how they are worth millions of dollars...call me CRAZY! Still a neat experience.

Next we saw the Arc of Triumph and went to the top. This time we opted for the elevator! The Arc of Triumph is a monument dedicated to the unknown soldiers. It almost seems like the middle of the town. There are about 10 streets that start (or end) at the Arc. It's really neat.

We accomplished a lot today and tried to see a lot more but there were several museums that were closed today or closed early. It must be because of FHE!!! Anyway, we'll hit a lot more tomorrow!

Oh, I caught a pick pocketer opening my moms backpack. It all happened so fast so I didn't have time to beat him up. You have to be really careful here!

I love and miss all of my friends and family! Thanks Luke for being such an awesome husband!

4 comments:

corrychronicles said...

Glad you made it there safe and sound...and you have already done some amazing things. I guess you have to do all you can when you get a chance to go somewhere like Paris. Love the updates, can't wait to see more. :)

Mindy Blake said...

Way to fight crime Julie! I wish you would've been able to beat him up and send us pix! Ha Ha! So glad you are having fun!

Our Family said...

Wow! Creepy about the guy getting into your mom's bag! I agree with you about the art... I don't understand it either. Something about brush strokes and how no one else can do it the same...

morgan said...

How fun for you to be able to go and visit! Can't wait to see more posts and pictures!!